Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Oprah Says Goodbye

I know its been awhile since you have had the chance to hear my thoughts. That can be good or bad, you either didn't miss me or needed a good laugh at the crazy lady! HeHe!
My thoughts today are on Oprah. Yes, you read that right, Oprah. I have to admit that I rarely watched her show in the past years. I had seen them growing up, watched the Christmas give away show, but for the most part I didn't really give a second thought to watching. I am currently watching her last show on the DVR. I know, if I never really watch, why DVR the last one? Well, her show is part of television history and I wanted to see how she went out. So with that being said, here are my thoughts on Oprah, for what its worth.
Oprah has come under fire so often. I have to admit, she has said some things that made me turn my head...things that make you go "WHAT did she just say?" She has come under fire for such things as her public view on God (I say public because we all have to remember that she is broad-casted on Network TV and they have rules ya know), her clothes, her weight, her love life....oh heck I could go on and on. No one has focused on her positives. Not even me, until now.
Oprah has brought to mainstream life problems most if not all women have faced. She has given women and invisible support network. That warm fuzzy blanket of "I am not alone". From Post Postpartum depression to PMS she has exposed it to the world. From date rape to romance in your marriage, her road trips to her give aways, its been out there for the world to see. She has taught us that "you are responsible for your own life" no more blame, it isn't your parents, boss, husbands, or children's fault. She brought to light things that were shameful, embarrassing, and unspoken of. Women didn't feel alone, ashamed, afraid or embarrassed anymore. They reached out for help, became proactive in their lives. Many stepped out and went to school, got therapy, and improved their lives in some way.
She started a school for girls, ok so it was in Africa, but that was where the need was greatest. Some scoffed at her for this, "what about America?" they asked, well what about it? She reached out time after time to the people of our nation as well. The school in Africa was just hot news at the time, which overshadowed her local accomplishments.
So, I say farewell to the Oprah show. A woman, who based on her raising, should be grateful that she walks upright has become one of the richest women in the media business. No chump change there, that realm was dominated by men! She had climbed the corporate ladder one rung at at time, kept climbing even when she slipped back down and made it to the top. Can you imagine what the rest of us could accomplish if we put just a pinch of the umph Oprah has into our lives? If we take anything at all from her 25 years worth of shows, it is this...don't give up, don't discount yourself. You are somebody special, hold your head high and believe in yourself and you can accomplish anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Listen to tinkermom43s Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

swagbucks