Thursday, July 5, 2012

Harry Potter Vs. The Wardrobe

Okay, let me start off by saying that I am promising to get here more often to blog, however my blog will be changing a bit. I tend to see the chance for ministry in most things and want to share how folks can get out and impact their community! So be on the look out for that! That being said, here goes another one of my ramblings that might entertain you! LOL I have been very convicted lately about things I watch and read not being of God. But were do we draw that line? Ok so from what I understand (and please know I haven't heard of this book until the other day) "50 Shades of Gray" is NOT something I would enjoy nor something I should even be reading, so this would be the complete opposite end of the spectrum I am dealing with here. Where I am confused is on the entirety of excluding books from our reading list. So many have issues with the Potter series. So that being said, that is the direction I am heading, mainly because that is just a point of reference for me. The Potter novels have been read by most in our home. My oldest has read them more than once and we have all seen the movies, ok my baby girl has not seen the last movie, it is a bit over the top for her. Here is how I see these books, fiction; based in a fantasy world; mythical creatures; good battling evil, good winning; promoting being yourself when you aren't accepted; promoting staying true to who you are created to be; written by a mom. Lets compare this to the Narnia Series: fiction; based in a fantasy world; mythical creatures; good battling evil, good winning; has a witch as a main character; promoting being yourself; based on the book of John, however not obvious to the nonbeliever; written by a Christian. So..maybe its just me I am not seeing much of a difference here other than the author's beliefs. However, time and time again as believers we are told that we shouldn't read the Potter books, my children have been taught this lesson multiple times. To be honest, I have read the entire Tolken series, The Di Vinci Code and other books that most would be appalled that as a Christian woman I read. Ok, so in the very distant past I have read some books that I can't believe I even read, but thank goodness for the past! My question here is where do we draw the line? Clearly there are some books that just should be out of the question for everyone, however it doesn't make you BAD for reading them. Sometimes getting a different perspective on things is a help. I can see where some novels can offend some folks, but should we completely weed whack our library to include only Christian authors? Clearly, CS Lewis and Rowling were on the same track with their writing. How do humans get an understanding of diverse cultures and beliefs without exposure to them or at least some knowledge of them? How do you effectively witness to others when you have no clue to what they BELIEVE to be true? At some point you have to know what is out in the world so you can be armed to explain why it is not Godly. Knowledge is power, reading gains knowledge. It is our job as parents and as children of God to recognize the difference between fact and fiction and to teach that. To limit our world to only certain elements would be a loss of knowledge. Some things are merely entertainment, lets not let self righteous, well meaning, thought patterns exclude us from learning what is going on outside our worlds. Let's use those things as tools to understanding humankind.

1 comment:

  1. hey girl been trying to get in touch with you, your phone is out and Ive tried to email you too. I guess i should just stop by...you live sooooo far:) hope you all are well

    ReplyDelete

Listen to tinkermom43s Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

swagbucks